Tuesday 14 May 2013

Sundal

I made quinoa mujadara yesterday. You know how you eat something again and again,  and you are like 'Man, why cant I eat something else'. I reached that state with quinoa. I promised myself not to eat quinoa for like 2 days. I love it so much that I cant live without it. Anyways,  I had some leftover lentils, decided to make 'sundal'. A popular dish in south India - it is a lentil stir fry with coconut and onions. The main seasoning for a sundal is asafoetida. It is an awesome spice with so many benefits.  It boosts metabolism, Google for more benefits :) . To make sundal, you need boiled lentils. Not dal consistency but the ones that can be picked out individually like chickpeas,  black eyed beans etc. I used the flat brown lentils you use for mujadara.

Ingredients: 

  • A cup of lentils - boiled

  • Black Mustard seeds-1 and 1/2 tsp

  • 10 curry leaves

  • 1 tsp rice bran oil

  • Salt-to taste

  • Asafoetida- 2 pinches

  • Coconut-3-4 tbsp

  • Red chilli powder- 2 tsp(vary this based on your spice limit)


wpid-IMG_20130404_081255.jpg
Method:

  • In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil, add mustard seeds, once it pops, add curry leaves, asafoetida. If you like taste of onions, you could add onions now and fry them with it.

  • Add the boiled lentils, chilli powder, salt, coconut and mix them together.

  • Awesome as an evening snack. You could omit coconut if you don't want it. But then, onions must be added then.

No comments:

Post a Comment