Saturday 11 May 2013

South African Split Pigeon Pea Soup

I was away for a month in South Africa volunteering with lions (Excuse for not blogging regularly) Had the most amazing time of my life :D. Got to do lot of adventure activities-one of which was cage diving with sharks at Gaansbaai , Cape town.

It was a freezing cold day and had to jump into the water, do up-down up-down like 200 times, it was exhausting. Back on shore, the tour company that took us into the ocean had this vegetable soup ready to warm us up. No offence - I thought Australia was the biggest meat eating country. I was wrong. It is South Africa. Finding vegan food is a challenge there :P. Anyways, I did my normal questioning with the ladies there - Any chicken stock,butter, cream blah blah blah? The lady who made the soup said it had only lentils, potato and carrots. NOTHING ELSE. I had a mouthful of the soup and man, it was the best soup I have ever had. Got the recipe from the ladies.

Ingredients: 

  • Split pigeon pea-1/2 cup soaked in hot water for 30 mins and boil until its mushy

  • Carrot grated-1

  • Potato grated-2


image

Method:

  • Add all the ingredients, lower the heat and cook on low flame for like 40 mins. Keep adding water to retain the soup consistency

  • Add salt and pepper and that's it :) Yummy soup. No oil or stock.

  • Deepa of Spice Rack blog had added a green mango for sourness. You could do that too :)

12 comments:

  1. I am 100% going to make this! Maybe next week. What a nice thing for lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (: Lemme know how it turns out to be. I made loads but there is hardly a spoonful left :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Lions, they do a great job everywhere they are found. This soup looks delicious. I have bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea they are :) One of the most friendliest people in the world. I hope you enjoy the soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha that a good sign for the cook, I shall definitely let you know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog and liking my posts!
    I am trying out your soup recipe today and will let you know the final outcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome. Please do. Hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Charanya!

    I am happy to report that the soup was a big hit! I just added a green mango to the broth while boiling!
    Thanks again for the lovely recipe!

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are welcome Deepa :)

    You are so creative. I love sourness in my food. Didn't know how to add it in the soup. Genius :) I will add a note to the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a simple and nutritious soup. I am totally making the soup this weekend and maybe pair it with vegan pesto pull apart rolls for a complete meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an awesome idea :) Let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete