Friday 24 May 2013

Quinoa pongal with Minty Coriander chutney

Pongal is one of the usual breakfast in Tamilnadu (one of the South Indian states). I have to admit I used to hate pongal, the reason being it was just cooked rice and split mung bean with loads and loads of clarified butter (ghee) and pepper. My mum always had to make something else cos I was adamant not to eat it. Since last May/so, I have reduced my intake of rice substituting it with world's yummiest grain, Quinoa :) Came back from work yesterday and all I wanted was quinoa and lentils. I was going through my paati's (granny) recipes I saw a non-vegan version of pongal. The Einstein part of my brain was so active I decided to make vegan quinoa pongal.

If you have a pressure cooker, this is really easy to make. Else, use a heavy-lid pan to make it.

Ingredients- Serves 3 (on a portion control diet)

  • Quinoa-3/4 cup

  • Split yellow mung bean-3/4 cup

  • Cashews-10

  • Curry leaves-10

  • Pepper-coarsely ground-3 Tbsp (lesser if you want less spicier effect)

  • Mustard seeds (2 tsp) Cumin seeds (1 tsp)

  • Ginger grated- 1.5 Tbsp

  • Rice bran oil-2 Tbsp

  • Asafoetida-a pinch

  • Turmeric- 1 tsp

  • Salt-to taste


Method:

  • Pressure cook/Cover and cook quinoa and lentils with 3.5-4 cups of water.

  • Next step is to season it. In a pan, add oil,heat it,add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, turmeric, cashews, wait for it to be about brown, add ginger and pepper and pour it over the quinoa and lentil mixture.

  • Add salt and mix them well. Serve with chutney


image

Minty Coriander chutney

Ingredients:

  • Mint leaves-2 handfuls

  • Coriander leaves-2 handfuls

  • Ginger-a small piece

  • Coconut (fresh/frozen)-1/4 cup

  • Garlic-one pod

  • Tamarind paste-1/2 tsp

  • Oil-a tsp

  • Cumin seeds-1 tsp

  • Curry leaves-7

  • Green chili-1

  • Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp


Method

  • In a pan, add mint and coriander leaves fry them until they shrink under heat, turn off the flame,let it cool and blend it with green chili, ginger, garlic, coconut, tamarind, salt.

  • In a pan, add oil, heat it and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cury leaves and pour them over the chutney


image

No comments:

Post a Comment