Saturday 30 March 2013

Baby Kale Thoran

Coconut is my drug. I am addicted to it. I can add coconut to every dish I am eating without flinching my face. Any dish doesn't turn out the way I want it to, I add coconut. My ancestry has traces of Kerala heritage, which is one of the most beautiful places in India and coconut is one of the main ingredients in most of the dishes there :) (No wonder, I love it)

If you have an onion, a garlic, coconut meat and chilli, Thoran is your time savior. You can make thoran out of every vegetable possible, and without a doubt, it will taste good. Thoran is vege-stir fry with coconut.

When I went to Woolworths this week for my grocery shopping, I got few packs of Baby Kale, one of the most nutritious greens ever.

Ingredients 

  • 1 red onion-finely chopped

  • Baby Kale - 1 and half packets

  • Coconut meat - 1 handful

  • 2 garlic pods-finely chopped

  • Salt -to taste


For seasoning

  • Black Mustard seeds-1 and 1/2 tsp

  • 10 curry leaves

  • 1 fresh green chilli-slit (if you don't want it to be spicy at all, just drop the chilli in)

  • 1 tsp rice bran oil



image



Method

  • In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil, when it is real hot, add black mustard seeds, when it starts to pop, add curry leaves in, green chilli, onion and garlic in. Toss some salt in

  • Sprinkle water and soften the onions

  • Add Kale and bit of salt in and it takes a while to cook Kale.

  • Once it is dry/devoid of water, add coconut in and turn off the heat

  • Ready to eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment